Tuesday, July 12, 2011

DEATH GRIPS - Shit's Fo' Real

I'm not even going to pretend to no anything even remotely relevant or insightful about rap and hip-hip. My miniscule knowledge of the genre begins and end when I was but a wee skate rat in the 90's, hyped on the sounds of  jazz-infused beats and lyrical ninjitsu of The Wu Tang Clan, NWA, The Pharcyde, Cypress Hill, and Del The Funky Homosapien. This music was deep, though-provoking and fun to listen to. As soon as the atonal chest-thumping and wallowing self-aggrandizing FM bullshit quaking from retired police cruisers started making the rounds in the late-'90's and throughout the Aughts, I pretty much tuned out.


But then Sacramento's Death Grips kicked-in my door, duct taped me to a chair and punched me in the face repeatedly until I was paying attention to hip-hop again.

Rap meets noise meets absolute bedlam; that's the only way I can properly describe this group. Harsh, brutal, janky and fuckin' fun to listen to, Death Grips has managed to pump new life into this flagging music genre and save it from the fate punk rock suffered in the mid-90's: irrelevance.

Here's proof:




Go get their Exmilitary Mixtape here for free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment